The Single Rose

On the chance that anyone, other than my cousin, actually reads this blog I just want to inform you I am changing the title and the domain.  It was once "Surviving Grad." discussing my adventures of moving away from home and becoming a graduate student.  Now that doesn't seem to fit anymore.  While indeed I am still a graduate student and have many adventures, that is not really the emphasis I want to put on this blog.  I even am not fond of the title I made right now, so don't be surprised if you log on in a few weeks and find a new name.  I'm sure it will come to me eventually, but in the meantime it doesn't make sense to wait to post until I have the "perfect" blog name that I would like.  For now, "The Single Rose" it is, because in the bouquet of gifts God has bestowed on my life, singleness is my rose.  A little thorny at times, but also the most beautiful.

Part of the change has to do with this stirring inside of me.  I have been in a phase lately where I am sick of reading Christian books about singleness and dating.  Our little Christian "subculture" is very big in marketing books in that area.  Don't get me wrong, some that I have read throughout highschool and college I would credit for keeping me in line, but still I'm just over it.  I can just read the Bible (or maybe Elisabeth Elliot because she's amazing) but other than that, I decided today I am done with them... at least for now.  Instead I'm going to be totally hypocritical and add my own thoughts to the publishing world.   I've been single for a long time and that has been my own personal thing, but maybe someone else will be encouraged by my walk, maybe not, but these thoughts are sitting here in my journal either way, so why not share them.  I am a very open person in general, but when it comes to the topic of love I am so often a closed door except to the few girls that I really trust to share my heart with, and to some extent I hope to keep it that way.  But if there is a way to post my thoughts yet still keep it all inside I hope to find that.

I also want to emphasize that I don't want this to be all about singleness and how to deal with it and lots of practical psychological bore... this is just more of what is coming out of currently living a single life and trying to do it all to the glory of Jesus Christ.  A lot of people tell stories from the perspective of, "back when I was single..." but I want this to be me walking with you through it now.  Remembering to try and focus less on our own hearts and state of relationship, and more on the joy of serving the Lord in this time of solely focusing on Him and Him alone.  What a joy and what a privilege!  We should have undivided attention because the only One we answer to is God.  Furthermore, our hearts are filled with this wellspring of love that isn't necessarily meant to be saved up for that one person someday but is to be selflessly poured out on others.  Sounds draining?  Shouldn't be!  The more people you love, the more your love grows.  And the more you spend time loving others, the less you spend time thinking about how you feel unloved... at least in the romance department.  Instead you begin to really recognize the love of God through the different relationships you build and pour out on.  God gives us love so let us give that love to others.  Come join me, I am quite interested to see how this blog turns out, maybe you are too, this is a total experiment on my part, but I pray the Father will take it as an offering and turn it into something great.

Comments

  1. love you. <3 you're such an encouragement. God's timing is truly perfect. Thank you for your words and sharing your thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prayers for the girl I've never met...

God Hears